Social media is a term widely used to describe a set of tools that, when used properly, help to promote interaction, discussion and community, allowing people and institutions to build relationships and share information.
Main Page Content
Thinking of launching a social media presence?
If you would like to create a social media campaign or account, please contact College Communications to reveiw best practices before you launch the project. Use our form to provide information on your project:
We can help answer your questions and set up strategies to engage your audience(s). We will also provide instruction on setting up your account and best practices for its management.
Want to request an individal post from the College?
Please use our form to enter in a request for a singular social media post:
Review the Connect page for a list of social media currently being used by The College at Brockport.
Please read these key principles about social media that are especially useful:
- Social media is about conversations, community, connecting with personalities and building relationships. It is not just a broadcast channel or a sales and marketing tool.
- Authenticity, honesty and open dialogue are key.
- Social media not only allows you to hear what people say about you, but enables you to respond. Listen first, speak second.
- Be compelling, useful, relevant, engaging. Don’t be afraid to try new things, but think through your efforts before kicking them off.
If you post as the official voice of a Brockport department, office or other entity, we encourage you to keep these guidelines in mind:
- Be respectful and civil.
- Be accurate and honest.
- Own up to your mistakes.
- Assume everything you post is permanent. Everything on the Internet can be archived. Even if you think you've deleted it.
- Respect the copyright and fair use policies of the social sites you use. If you share someone's work on your feed, give them credit.
- Post, and interact, consistently. Like a good garden, the only way to get your social media community to grow is to give it the right attention.