The Employee Fitness Program is an opportunity for current or retired employees and their spouses or significant others as well as alumni of The College at Brockport to have their own place to exercise.
Main Page Content
The Employee Fitness Program is staffed by exercise mentors.
- Students currently in the Exercise Science Major taking PEP 455 Practicum for Exercise Programming.
- The Employee Fitness Program is a key component of their practicum experience.
- The primary job of an exercise mentor is to screen, assess, prescribe, and monitor the exercise of the participants in the program.
The Top 10 Reasons to Join the Employee Fitness Program
- Open 30+ hours a week – before work, during lunch, and after work
- It is a clean, friendly, and inviting space
- Lots of Space to Exercise
- No Waiting for Equipment
- The facility is on campus
- Used only by Faculty, Staff, Faculty Emeritus, and Alumni of the College at Brockport and their Spouses or Significant Others
- Free Health Assessments
- Free Exercise Programming
- Improved Health and Quality of Life – maintain/lose weight, improve fitness levels, increased energy
- It is free!
As a new member of the program each person is expected to participate in an orientation which involves the following:
- Complete a Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q+) and Client Information Form
- Undergo a blood pressure and resting heart rate assessment
During this orientation some of our members may be required to have a medical clearance before participating in our program.
- Our program follows the American College of Sports Medicine’s Participation Screening Algorithm.
- Because of the risks associated with exercise participation, some participants will require physician’s approval before exercising in our facility.
- We have a form to fax to your physician for approval if necessary or you can take the Physician Clearance Form on our website to your physician.
- Cardiovascular Assessment - tailored to your specific needs (treadmill, bicycle, arm ergometer, etc)
- Blood Pressure Assessment - just like at the doctors office but we will take the measurement during exercise as well
- Body Composition Assessment - waist to hip circumference measures, skinfold measures and bioelectrical impedance to assess body size and percent body fat
- Muscular Strength and Endurance Assessment - estimating your strength by performing a couple different resistance training exercises
- Flexibility Screen and Postural Analysis - identifies postural deviations and movement limitations that may impact fitness training
Your Exercise Mentor will provide you with all of your results and an explanation of them within approximately one week after the assessments have been completed. We can provide copies of your information to your health care providers if you would like.
This is a free service. Personal training sessions will last 30 - 60 minutes.
All exercise mentors will use The American College of Sports Medicine Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription as they prescribe exercise.
What are the Participant Expectations?
As a part of the program, it is expected that participants exercise in our facility at least two times per week. This is beneficial for you as well as ensures that the facility is being used.
When is the Employee Fitness Program open for use?
The Employee Fitness Program is open Monday-Friday.
- The program is closed when the College is officially closed and on all major holidays.
- The program is open during both the Fall and Spring semesters.
- The program begins on the first day of each semester and ends on the last Friday before finals week.
Monday - Friday: 6:30 - 8 am
Monday, Wednesday & Friday: 11:15 am - 1:10 pm
Tuesday & Thursday: 11 am - 1:30 pm
Monday - Thursday: 3:30 - 6:30 pm
Friday: 3:30 - 5:45 pm
Where is the Employee Fitness Program located?
The program will be held in Tuttle North C-204 across from the Ice Hockey Rink.
- Walk over from the SERC house of fields or the Kinetic Cafe.
- There is a hallway that will take you to the entrance the Tuttle North C-204 space.
- Walk through a set of doors that will lead you into Tuttle North.
- The gym will be on your right.
How much does the Employee Fitness Program cost?
The program is free for all current and retired College employees and alumni.
How do I join the Employee Fitness Program?
Please click the box below to sign up for the Employee Fitness Program. Please have each individual sign up separately if joining with a spouse or significant other.
Please complete the Client Information Sheet found under the "Forms" section on the left hand side of the screen and bring to your first appointment. If you are concerned about a current health condition please have your physician complete the Physician Clearance form also found under the "Forms" section prior to exercising in the Employee Fitness Program.
Please email the Employee Fitness Program for any questions or comments.