Main Page Content
Responsibilities of Members of the College Community
SUNY Brockport continues to show improved percentages in our recycling efforts. In order to continue this trend, we need to:
- Recycle every material possible
- Reduce the amount of material that will become waste
- Reuse as many products or packages as possible
- Use products made of recycled products where possible
The following products must be recycled.
Paper & Paper Products
Many types of paper and paper products can be recycled. All paper products can be mixed together in your blue recycling bin for recycling.
Examples of recyclable paper products include:
- Computer paper
- Junk mail
- Non-soiled pizza boxes
- Cardboard (both compressed and corrugated)
You do not need to remove covers, paper clips, or staples when recycling.
Examples of paper products that should not be recycled include:
- Soiled paper or boxes
- Paper towels
- Tissue paper
- Carbon paper
- Paper plates/cups
- Candy wrappers
- Wax or plastic coated paper.
Glass, Metal & Plastic Containers
Examples of recyclable containers include:
- Any color glass beverage or food container
- Metal cans (both aluminum and steel)
- Food and beverage cans
- Plastic containers that are imprinted with the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 on the bottom of the container.
You do not need to remove any labels, but please rinse out the containers of any residue.
Examples of containers that should not be recycled include:
- Metal containers not used for food or beverages
- Light bulbs or tubes
- Laboratory glass
- Window glass
- Motor oil containers.
How to Participate in our Recycling Program
Place all recyclable materials in your blue recycling bin. Containers should be dry to prevent contamination of paper products. If you anticipate a larger volume of materials to be recycled, please contact 395-5201 to make arrangements to have large tote bins delivered to your area.
Place paper in the blue recycling bin, containers in the green recycling bin, and trash in the beige waste bin.
Residential Life Buildings
Put all paper products in your blue recycling bin and on each Wednesday morning place your blue recycling bin outside your corridor door. Put all containers in the designated receptacle in your appropriate trash room.
- Use double-sided printing and copying
- Use email instead of paper mail
- Select college mailing lists carefully to avoid excessively wide distributions that can include large numbers of uninterested people
- Buy the largest size packages when practical to reduce packaging materials
- Remove your name from junk mailing lists by contacting the sender
- Reuse the back of pre-used paper for scratch paper
- Reuse envelopes (especially those expensive specialized ones) and boxes by putting your own labels over the originator's
- Share magazine subscriptions
- Use washable dishware, mugs, glasses, and utensils instead of disposable ones
- Use reusable inter-office envelopes for campus mail.
Use Recycled Products
- Using products made from recycled materials improves the markets for our recyclables
- Check the product labels to see if the product contains recycled materials
- Contact the College's Purchasing Department to assist you in identifying sources of recycled products.
Please call 395-5201 or 395-5394 with any questions or concerns related to recycling