Main Page Content

220 Academic Advisement and Student Planning

220.01 Definition of Academic Advisement

Academic advisement is a process, which assists each student to plan an academic program which will be consistent with institutional degree requirements and with the individual student's academic goals. Academic advisement includes guiding individual students in the identification and utilization of student support services available on campus.

220.02 Assignment of Advisers

  1. A transfer or readmitted student who has chosen an academic major should complete a "Selection of/Change in Academic Program" form with the appropriate department upon arriving on campus. The student will be assigned an advisor by the department chair or advisement coordinator at that time. A student who is still uncertain about his or her academic field should consult with Academic Advisement and Career Services.
  2. Departments are responsible for their faculty members' advisees and must provide a replacement if a faculty member is on leave, retires, resigns, or is otherwise unavailable. Students unable to make contact with their adviser should inform the chairperson of their adviser's department.
  3. Students who wish to include a second major in their academic program will be referred to the appropriate major department for advisement. Students who wish to include teacher certification in their academic program will be referred to a certification advisor in addition to a major or general advisor.
  4. The Admissions Office must accept non-matriculated students. Until students matriculate, advisement is done in the Admissions Office, with referrals to appropriate faculty and staff as necessary. Once matriculated, items 1-5 above apply.

220.03 Schedule Planning

The College publishes schedules for the fall, spring, and summer sessions which list courses offered by all teaching departments. Each student should consult with his or her assigned advisor, who will assist in planning a semester schedule consistent with the student's needs and interests. These decisions should be made in accordance with the policies, procedures, and program requirements outlined in the Undergraduate Studies Bulletin and other official College publications.

220.04 Registration

  1. Required Advisement for Matriculated Undergraduates: All matriculated undergraduate students are required to obtain the approval of their academic advisor in order to register for any course for the succeeding semester. Adviser approval is indicated either by a signature on the student's Advisement form or by the advisor providing the student's Advisement Key Number for that semester.
  2. Registration Schedule: Registration for any semester takes place during the latter part of the preceding semester. Specific times and dates for registration are published in the Schedule of Classes. Students may not register prior to their scheduled time, but may register at any time after that time.
  3. Registration: The student may register for courses either by using the Touch-tone Registration System or in person in the Office of Registration and Records. Students will be registered only in those courses, which are open. In order to enroll in a closed course, the student must obtain either the signature of the instructor of the course or a Permission Key Number. Complete registration instructions appear in the Schedule of Classes.
  4. Late Registration: Every student is expected to be registered, including paying or receiving payment deferral of the bill, before classes begin for the semester. If for any reason this is impossible, a student may register late by adding classes during the add period. Instructions for late registration, including an explanation of late fees, are detailed in the Schedule of Classes.

220.05 Selection of the Academic Program

When planning the semester course schedule, students should consider the total academic program to be completed during their undergraduate years. Wise choices made throughout the academic career allow for optimum flexibility in each semester's program and prevent a desperate and often futile attempt to complete requirements during the senior year.

Many students enter college with an academic program in mind. Others are less sure of their ultimate goals and wish to sample courses in a variety of fields. The first two years of college offer many opportunities to explore various academic options through the selection of introductory courses.

While it is desirable that academic major decisions be made as soon as possible, this does not mean that students cannot change one or more of their academic decisions if they find out that they wish to alter the direction of their educational program. However, when changes in direction come late in the student's undergraduate career, it may be difficult to complete degree requirements on schedule. Indeed, a student may have to attend one or more summer sessions or an additional semester in order to complete the changed program. No student should complete a program he/she does not really want just to insure ease of planning, but it must be emphasized that it is to the student's advantage to decide upon the major academic goals as early as possible.

In order to remain eligible for state financial aid (such as TAP), undergraduate students must declare an academic major no later than their junior year (54 or more credits completed). This does not preclude later changes of program, however.

220.06 Declaration of Academic Program

As soon as students make a definite decision about their academic programs, they are required to file a Declaration of Major Form in the appropriate departmental office. When the student is signed into the major by the chairperson or department advisement coordinator, an adviser will be assigned, and the student becomes eligible to pre-register for department courses during major reservation.

The departments of Business Administration and Economics, Criminal Justice, Nursing, and Social Work and accept into the major only students who have successfully completed specified prerequisite courses and have met certain academic standards. A student who wishes to major in one of these areas should file an Intent to Major with the appropriate department while meeting these conditions. A Declaration of Major form should be filed when these conditions are met and the major may be officially declared.

220.07 Changing or Expanding the Academic Program

In order to change or add a major, a minor, or a certification program, a student must complete a "Selection of/Change in Academic Program" form in the relevant department. The Office of Academic Advisement will notify departments from which students withdraw formally.

220.08 Student Responsibility in Advisement and Planning

Just as the College recognizes its responsibility for providing effective academic advisement, so too must students recognize their own responsibility to seek advice and to inform themselves about academic requirements both at the College and in the University system.

220.09 Freshmen Orientation Courses

Entering freshmen are required to take the GEP 100 Academic Planning Seminar. Their instructor for this course will be their adviser until such time as a major or intent to major is declared and an adviser is assigned in the major area.

Delta College students will take the DCC 100 Educational Mentor Tutorial, and the instructor for this course will be their general adviser.

Military Science students will take MSC 101.

Exceptional Talent Students, Transition Students, and EOP Students will take GEP 120.

Return to Policies-Related Directly to Teaching and Academic Work Instructor Responsibility

Last Updated 8/28/17

Close mobile nav