Main Page Content

630 Leaving the College

630.01 Graduation

  1. Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS): Each semester the student is provided a computerized degree audit of their progress toward degree requirements. Instructions for interpreting the audit are available from the Office of Academic Advisement.

  2. Undergraduate Data Cards: Students who expect to graduate at the end of a given semester are required to complete an Undergraduate Data Card and submit it to the Office of Registration and Records. The College will not undertake to graduate any student until such a card has been completed, inasmuch as many students who have completed minimal degree requirements may still be in pursuit of a second major, minor, or concentration as undergraduates.

  3. Graduation Honors: Graduation honors are based upon a minimum of 48 credits earned at Brockport. A maximum of 24 credits taken on an S/U basis may be counted in the minimum of 48 credits. Graduation honors are determined on the basis of the following grade point averages (cumulative indexes): (Faculty Senate, #67, 1969-70)

    • 3.25 - 3.49 Cum Laude
    • 3.50 - 3.74 Magna Cum Laude
    • 3.75 or above Summa Cum Laude

630.02 Separation from the College

A student may leave the College voluntarily prior to graduation in order to attend a different college, to work, or for any number of other reasons. A voluntary separation may be Separation, Temporary Academic Leave, or Visiting Student on Leave.

A Temporary Academic Leave, available to any student after completion of four weeks at the College, allows the student to maintain matriculated status and to meet degree requirements in effect at the date of last matriculation. This Leave may be sought either during or upon the completion of a semester or during the three months following completion of the semester. The Leave is granted for two semesters. A portion of one semester counts as a full semester.

Students not eligible for a Temporary Academic Leave, or leaving the College for more than two semesters, must officially separate from the College through the Office of Academic Advisement.

All students wishing to separate voluntarily from the College must apply for a Separation or Temporary Academic Leave from the Office of Academic Advisement. Application for a Separation or Temporary Academic Leave from the semester in which the student is currently enrolled must be made no later than the Friday proceeding the last full week of classes. Withdrawal from courses, either singly or in total, do not constitute a Separation or Temporary Academic Leave. The Office of Academic Advisement will confirm all Separations or Temporary Academic Leave in writing.

630.03 Involuntary Separation

There are three conditions under which the College requires that a student leave, either temporarily or permanently: (1) poor academic performance, (2) unacceptable social conduct, and (3) academic dishonesty.

Policies and procedures concerning social conduct are in Chapter 520 Codes of Student Social Conduct. The policy on academic dishonesty is found in Chapter 540.

Students who leave the College without following the procedure for securing a Separation or Temporary Academic Leave through the Office of Academic Advisement are considered involuntarily separated.

630.04 Readmission after Voluntary Separation from the College

  1. Students who separate from the College are assured readmission to the College at Brockport by filing an application for readmission with the Office of Admissions no later than one month prior to the semester for which the student wishes to enroll.

  2. Readmitted students are expected to meet all academic degree requirements, including major requirements, in effect at the time of readmission to the College a stated in the Undergraduate Studies Catalog except where such requirements are officially and specifically waived.

  3. Readmitted students are governed by all campus policies and procedures outlined in the Student Handbook. Students readmitted after separation return with the grade point average achieved prior to leaving. Students with a grade point average below 2.0 are readmitted on probation and are governed by the rules pertaining to probation status outlined in the Handbook.

  4. In all cases, official transcripts of any college work taken during the absence from the College at Brockport must be submitted as part of the readmission application process and will be evaluated for additional college credit toward the degree in accordance with the rules and regulations governing transfer credit outlined in the Handbook.

  5. Students who do not apply for an official separation (who walk away), must apply for readmission to be eligible to return to the College at Brockport. An application for readmission should be filed with the Office of Admissions no later than one month prior to the semester for which the student wishes to enroll. The decision to readmit will be based on past academic achievement.

  • Students who take a Temporary Academic Leave are not required to apply for readmission.

Return to Student Policies

Last Updated 10/26/17

Close mobile nav