Main Page Content

830 Use of College Property and Services

830.01 General

State College supplies, equipment, computers, personnel and other resources may not be utilized for non-governmental purposes, including for personal purposes or for outside activities of any kind (ref. Governor’s Executive Order No. 1). College property, supplies and equipment are purchased exclusively for use by College employees, at their job-site, in the performance of their job-related responsibilities. The College expects employees to act as stewards, to protect and safeguard College equipment and property.

830.02 Administrative Supplies and Services

College letterhead, forms, other stationery, postage, mailing services, computer services, printing services, photocopy, and other duplicating services are available for the efficient conduct of College business. Similarly, the services of clerical, stenographic, technical, or other personnel of the College are provided to conduct College business. These services are not to be used for personal purposes or in connection with private or professional activities conducted for profit. Costs for these services are paid from departmental allocations. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in either the reimbursement of costs incurred or disciplinary action, or both.

  • Official stationery may not be used for non-governmental purposes, nor may State government resources be used to mail personal correspondence. The designation “personal” on agency stationery means only that the contents are meant for the personal viewing of the addressee and not that the sender is acting unofficially. All letters and other written materials printed on such official stationery are considered official, and thus the designation “unofficial” has no meaning and may not be used.

  • Under no circumstances may State mail, postage, internal office mail or inter-city couriers be used for non-governmental purposes.

  • State telephones may not be used for non-governmental long-distance calls, except for toll-free calls, collect calls, and calls billed to a personal telephone number. State telephones may be used for incidental and necessary personal local calls that are of limited number and duration and do not conflict with the proper exercise of the duties of the State employee.

  • State computers may be used for incidental and necessary personal purposes, such as sending personal electronic mail messages, provided that such use is in a limited amount and duration and does not conflict with the proper exercise of the duties of the State employee.

  • State vehicles shall be used for official business or incidental use associated with official business away from an employee’s official work station. Individuals who are authorized by their agency or public authority to use a vehicle for personal purposes shall keep records of such use, and the value of such personal use shall be calculated and reported as personal income to such individual for tax purposes.

It is appropriate, WITH PERMISSION of the appropriate dean or director, however, to use such stationery and services in connection with the work of professional societies and public service organizations. It is also permissible to use clerical or stenographic services for certain scholarly manuscripts (excluding dissertations and textbooks) when such help is available. College facilities may not be used for private instruction

830.03 Coin Operated Copy Machines

Coin-operated machines, located in Drake Memorial Library, are available to faculty, staff and students for their personal use during regular building hours.

830.04 Secretarial Services

  • College secretaries are instructed as follows:

    • A secretary should not, under any circumstances, reveal to any other person the contents of a faculty or staff member's mail, letters, manuscripts, or other assigned secretarial work without authorization from that individual.

  • The Chancellor has issued guidelines concerning faculty or professional staff use of secretaries, based upon an agreement by a committee representing CSEA and SUNY. Procedures for implementing these guidelines are as follows:

    • Departmental Chairs, program directors, and deans are responsible for supervising the use of all state-funded secretaries to their units. They are responsible for interpreting the Chancellor's guidelines and for determining the appropriateness of work assigned by the faculty to secretaries. The chairs, directors and deans are also responsible for informing all faculty and secretaries of these guidelines, to insure that secretaries are not given the burden of making judgments in response to faculty requests.

  • Faculty with typing requirements, the appropriateness of which is unclear, shall obtain an interpretation from the chair, director, or dean before submitting material to a secretary.

  • Interpretations regarding manuscripts take into account the intent of publication. A scholarly book or manuscript, which might incidentally result in very modest royalties, may be appropriately typed. Typing of a textbook manuscript is inappropriate, as is typing of reports in connection with work for which a consulting or other fee has been received.

  • In general, any manuscript with an expectation of more that trivial remuneration to the author may not be typed by a state-supported secretary during normal working hours.

  • Departmental secretaries are not to be assigned typing of faculty or student theses or dissertations.

  • Chairs, directors, and deans are responsible for assigning priorities for work assigned to state-supported secretaries.

830.05 Policy on Space of Emeritus Faculty

  • The College will continue to make an effort to provide convenient and secure office space for emeritus faculty and to provide such amenities as will foster a continuing relationship between emeriti and the activities of the campus.

  • Emeritus are encouraged to apply for office space by making a request through the appropriate dean. Since space is limited by the needs of ongoing programs, as in the past, faculty upon retirement will relinquish all space within departmental areas for its reassignment on a programmatic basic. Only in extraordinary circumstances would there be a programmatic basic for reassigning departmental space to emeritus faculty (other than informal sharing arrangements with continuing faculty).

  • The College has set aside a limited amount of space to assign to emeriti on an as available and temporary basis (ordinarily for a maximum of three years). Priority for such space will be given to emeritus faculty involved in ongoing College programs, such as sponsored research, collaborative work with the active faculty, projects of specific departments, and the like. Allocation of space, including space for emeriti, will be reviewed on a regular basis.

830.06 Property Control

  • Department chairs and unit heads have items of equipment assigned to their department. As officers of the College, they are responsible for the security and accountability for each item in their care. It is the duty of each department chair and unit head to be knowledgeable of the location and condition of each item of equipment in his/her care. See Chapter 200.01.

  • The Property Control Department is responsible for maintaining a computerized inventory of all equipment on campus according to State guidelines. Equipment costing $5,000 or more is systematically and accurately recorded with inventory tags assigned. Equipment costing less than $5,000 is assigned ownership tags. Property Control is also responsible for ensuring locations are correct for equipment, performing an inventory of all equipment and coordinating the disposition of surplus equipment. This includes equipment purchased with State, Research Foundation or a combination of funds.

830.07 Use, Long Term and Short Term Removal of College Equipment

No College equipment or property may be removed from the Campus without prior written approval, even if such property appears to be abandoned, trash, not useful, or no longer needed, including anything in a dumpster located on College property. This also includes all property that is being borrowed for off-campus official use by employees.

  • No item of College property shall be removed from the Campus except as set forth below:

    • Except as noted below in connection with portable personal computers and electronic communications equipment, a Property Removal Authorization form (signed by the individual requesting permission, the director/dean and the appropriate vice president, if applicable) must be completed and distributed as indicated on the form before any College property can be removed from Campus, even if such property appears to be abandoned, trash, not useful, or no longer needed, including anything in a dumpster located on College property. This also includes all property that is being borrowed for off-campus official use by employees.

All Property Removal Authorization forms will expire on the day of Commencement each year. A new form must be submitted to the Office of Property Control or the equipment must be returned. All discrepancies will be reported.

  • Employees may borrow College property for official College use only. A Property Removal Authorization form must be completed. In the case of long-term removal (more than ten working days), the form must be signed by the requestor, the dean/director/unit head, and the appropriate vice president. College property being borrowed for more than ten days will require the requester’s, the dean/director/unit head’s and the appropriate vice president’s signature prior to removal of the property. In the case of short-term removal (ten working days or less), the form must be signed by the requestor and the dean/director/unit head. The completed Property Removal Authorization form must be distributed as set forth on the bottom of the form prior to removal of the equipment.

  • Portable personal computers and electronic communications equipment are assigned to the department chair or unit head. It is their responsibility to provide the Office of Property Control written location verification if this equipment is not in their possession during a Property Control audit.

Any removal of College equipment or property in violation of this policy is a form of employee misconduct and will lead to disciplinary action.

830.08 Reporting Missing or Stolen Equipment

The Office of the State Comptroller Accounting Bulletin #A-78 (10/24/83)

"Reporting Theft/Loss of Assets of the State and Auxiliary Organizations" state that the actual or suspected loss of equipment must be reported to the Office of the State Comptroller promptly.

All actual or suspected missing or stolen equipment must be reported to University Police, 395-2226, promptly and assistance given in completion of a crime report. A complete written report must also be made to Property Control Office, 395-2546, by the next business day. Forms are available for reporting. If items are returned or found, written notification must be sent to University Police and the Property Control Office. Departmental inventories will reflect status change of equipment.

830.09 Broken or Damaged Equipment

Equipment used by students in a College setting may be subject to misuse resulting in broken or damage equipment. Department Chairs and Unit Heads should have an established policy in place for such circumstances. These may include but are not limited to the following:

  • Assignment of an employee in the department in charge of processing reports of broken or damaged equipment.
  • Development of a document in which students sign prior to using College equipment that informs the student that they are responsible for the equipment and that they may be required to reimburse the department for the dollar value of the equipment should it become broken or damaged while in their care.
  • A system for billing individuals for broken or damaged equipment which includes setting up an appropriate approved IFR account in which to deposit fees collected. Options may include:
    • Working directly with the Office of Student Accounts to have the charges placed directly on a student’s bill.
    • Departments directly invoicing the individual, collecting the funds and bringing the funds to the Office of Student Accounts for deposit into their specific IFR account.
    • Fees—another option may be to assign a course related fee such as a laboratory breakage deposit to a course that is subject to excessive equipment breakage or damage.
  • Campus Judicial System-- The campus judicial system is a system of judicial policies and procedures that is customarily used to adjudicate violations of the Codes of Student Social Conduct. A student who is charged with a violation of the Codes of Student Social Conduct may be subject to College disciplinary proceedings. Conduct item four: “theft, unauthorized possession of, or damage to College property …,” is one of the behaviors listed that is prohibited by students.

Human Resources—standard personal actions can be implemented for faculty and staff who are unreasonably negligent or inappropriately damage College property.

Return to Other Policies and Procedures

Last Updated 11/6/17

Close mobile nav