Main Page Content
Researchers at The College at Brockport must complete online training on the protection of human subjects in research via an institutional subscription to the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI), a consortium of universities that provides convenient and comprehensive online training modules, for all students, faculty and staff.
Please note that academic advisors of student researchers are also required to have up-to-date CITI certification.
- Go to the CITI website.
- Click "Register" at the top of the page.
- Under "Select Your Organization Affiliation," enter "SUNY - College at Brockport." Enter the name exactly as it appears here.
- Follow the directions on the screen.
- You do not have to register in advance and can access the course 24 hours a day.
- You must complete the Group 2 Basic Course in order to submit an IRB proposal.
- Register for the Group 2 Refresher Course if you need to renew your CITI certification.
- In addition to the Group 2 Basic Course, you may need to take one or more of the following
supplemental population-specific modules:
- NEW: As of 10/23/17, all students who submit research proposals (e.g., student principal investigators) are required to take the Students in Research module.
- Research with prisoners
- Research with children
- Research in public elementary and secondary schools
- International research
- Internet research
- Gender and Sexual Diversity (GSD) in Human Research
- Illegal Activities or Undocumented Status in Human Research
- Research Involving Subjects at the End of Life
- Research with Decisionally Impaired Subjects
- Research with Older Adults
- Research with Persons Who are Socially or Economically Disadvantaged
- Resarch with Subjects with Physical Disabilities and Impairments
- Students in Research
- Vulnerable Subjects--Research Involving Workers/Employees
- There are a number of supplementary consent modules that may apply to your project:
- Consent and Cultural Competence
- Consent and Incidental Findings in Research with Human Subjects
- Consent and Subject Recruitment Challenges: Renumeration
- Consent in the 21st Century
- Consent Tools Used by Researchers
- Consent with Subjects Who Do Not Speak English
- If you have funding for your project, you may need to take the following modules:
- Conflict of Interest
- Responsible Conduct of Research
PLEASE NOTE: The Group 1 course for undergraduates has been phased out.
Each module can be printed out if you desire.You must take the brief quizzes at the end of each module and get a score of 80% on each module to pass. If you don't pass the first time, you can retake each quiz until you earn a passing score.
After you have completed the requirements above, you can print out a course completion report (see below). CITI certification is valid for three years. The IRB office does not keep CITI certification on file, but your record of completion is available indefinitely for you to access online through the CITI website.
CITI Program issues "Completion Reports" (CRs) for every course completed by a learner. In response to many requests, CITI Program now also issues course "Completion Certificates" (CCs) that learners may print or share. More information about CITI transcripts and Completion Reports is available here.