Skip to main content
Close mobile nav
Directions for Merging Documents
Main Page Content
To merge your proposal and all attachments into a single PDF using Adobe Acrobat:
- Open Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro.
- In the righthand toolbar, click "Combine Files."
- Add all the files you want to combine, in the order you want them. You can add both
Word documents and PDFs.
- Save the combined file under a new name.
To delete, reorder or otherwise manage pages in a PDF using Adobe Acrobat:
- Open your PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro.
- Identify the page or pages you want to delete or reorder.
- In the righthand toolbar, click "Organize Pages."
- Manage pages as needed.
- Save the new file.
To merge your proposal and all attachments into a single PDF without Adobe Acrobat:
- Complete each Word document individually.
- In Word, for each individual document, click "File," then "Save as," and select "PDF" from the drop-down menu.
- Type into Google "Merge PDF" or go to http://www.pdfmerge.com/
- Select all the documents that should be submitted as part of your proposal (don't
forget to include any testing instruments and completed CITI training saved as PDF).
- Place each individual file into the webpage.
- Click "Merge."
- Save completed IRB PDF (you will not be able to edit this document—it is a PDF, not
a word document).
- Title your document: Last name.IRB Proposal.Date
To merge your proposal and all attachments into a single Word document:
- Create a new blank document, and then configure the page layout settings for the documents
that are going to be merged. Save this document.
- Put your cursor on the place in the document when you want the inserted files to be
- Click Insert tab on the ribbon.
- Click on the down arrow at the right side of Object. This is found in Text group.
Click on Object and choose the Text from File… option.
- In the Insert File dialog window, select all Word documents that you want to merge
and combine into one. To select multiple files, press and hold down CTRL key while
clicking on the files one by one.
- Click on Insert button. All documents selected now merged and combined into a single
document file. Remember to then save the file.