Main Page Content
Single Order Licensing
In an effort to protect the name of The College at Brockport and its logos from inappropriate use, the College has joined a Trademarks and Licensing consortia that issues licenses to qualified vendors for qualified products and collects royalties, where applicable, for the printing and use of the College name and logos.
These policies and procedures apply to purchases made using non-State funds as well as those made using State or IFR accounts.
The following items are excluded from all licensing and may not be produced with any campus names, logos or other markings:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco and smoking products
- Toiletries and certain food products
- Sexually oriented goods
- Health and skin care products
- Goods related to gambling, lotteries and sweepstakes
- Religious or burial goods
- Products of a political nature
- Goods that include names or pictures of current students (e.g., athletes)
- Services of any kind (e.g., moving companies, area entertainment programs or tour services)
- Goods making unfavorable reference to race, religion, sex, national origins or handicaps
- Sunglasses and certain sport/athletic equipment
- Products in "poor taste", including bathroom products
There are instances, however, where the collection of royalties and the time and expense to license a vendor is not necessary. Certain transactions may be appropriate for a Single Order Trademark License that, at no cost to the campus or the vendor, allows for an efficient means to license a company to use names and marks representing the College on a one-time basis.
To qualify for a single order license, the requirement must: (1) originate from campus departments and/or organizations and (2) will not be resold above cost or used for commercial promotional purposes. The following intended product uses may apply for single order licensing:
- Retail sale
- Sale to members of campus club/department at cost
- Sale to public
- Supply equipment for office or classroom
- Product promo or ad
A Single-Order Trademark License must be issued before a campus department or organization may order products bearing names and marks of the campus. The department or organization with assistance by the supplier must provide the required license information and submit to the Campus Trademark Office (Procurement & Payment Services in conjunction with Design & Production) for approval to exempt the purchase from all royalty requirements and to confirm design compliance using TM (trademark) status. The following information, located on the Single Order Trademark License form, is required for the one-time license:
- origin of request;
- the product, with a brief description;
- the design, illustrating the campus names and marks to be used;
- the supplier and source of imprinting;
- the intended use of the product(e.g., resale, office, award); and
- acknowledgement (signature) by department head or officer
Once approved by the Campus Trademark Office, the Single Order Trademark License must be submitted to the vendor with the order. Upon acceptance of the order, the supplier agrees to the terms noted within the license.
Note: Single Order Trademark Licensing is required prior to EACH purchase order or reorder.