Cell Phone Reimbursement Procedure
SUNY Brockport recognizes that the performance of certain job responsibilities may be enhanced by the use of various communication tools and related services. This is the College’s procedure for the reimbursement of individual cellular phone devices. This procedure applies to all persons that have been determined to need a cellular phone for business purposes.
To be eligible for cell phone reimbursement, the employee must meet the following official state business needs:
- Responsibilities include making critical day-to-day business decisions requiring immediate attention.
- Frequently out of the office, in remote locations, or off campus and communication is essential.
- Responsibilities involve significant time away from the desk or workplace.
- Frequently engages in work-related travel.
- Position is expected to receive and return critical calls outside non-working hours.
- Designated as key personnel needed in the event of an emergency.
- Responsibilities include sending commands to control systems remotely during non-business hours.
- Responsibilities require quick, anytime, anywhere, response using the Internet during non-business hours.
- Responsibilities involve significant time out of the office in locations without Internet and access is a requirement to perform job duties.
Approvals must be obtained from the department chair/unit head, the Dean/AVP, and the Provost or appropriate Divisional VP. Please complete the Cellular Phone Justification and Allowance Request Form, secure the appropriate approvals, and submit to the Office of Procurement and Payment for processing.
If approved, the employee will receive a monthly allowance for business-related use of personal cellular device at $35 per month.
- Ownership and responsibility of a cellular phone and service plan resides with the employee. Employees may select any cellular provider. State employee discounts are available.
- The employee is responsible for selecting a service provider, enrolling in a cellular calling plan, and purchasing equipment. The employee should ensure that the service provider and calling plan comply with any requirements established by their supervisor.
- The calling plan agreement will be in the name of the employee who will be solely responsible for all payments to the service provider.
- The employee is responsible for all charges on their personal calling plan, including early termination fees. If the employee leaves the position, they continue to be responsible for the contractual obligations of their calling plan.
- It is the employee’s responsibility to comply with state and municipal laws regarding the use of cellular device while driving.
- Cellular transmissions are not secure and employees should use discretion in relaying confidential information over cellular devices and when using the device in public surroundings.
Maintaining Your Allowance
Employees are required to annually submit a copy of their July cellular bill, along with proper reimbursement forms, and a completed Cellular Phone Justification and Allowance Request Form to the Office of Procurement and Payment.
Personal Mobile Device Policy
Participants are expected to adhere to the College’s Personal Mobile Device Policy.
Departmentally Owned Cellular Device
Positions may have job specific needs that justify departmental ownership of cellular devices. Delivery drivers, facilities personnel, residential life, and safety officers are examples where phones may be assigned or rotated among employees. Equipment and calling plans may be charged to a departmental account and the equipment will be classified as a university asset. All usage must be documented and personal calls must be reimbursed. Determination of the requirements for a position rests with the appropriate institutional officer.
Please contact Chelsea Donnelly for assistance.