Purchases made by The College at Brockport are governed by the appropriate sections of New York State Finance Law, Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) rules and regulations, and State University (SUNY) policies and procedures.
It is the responsibility of Procurement and Payment Services to ensure that purchases are in compliance with numerous rules and regulations. With the exception of Citibank VISA Purchasing Card purchases, departments are not permitted to obligate funds without the prior knowledge and approval of Procurement and Payment Services. This is accomplished when departments submit a requisition form to Procurement and Payment Services showing the intended purchase or service required.
Procurement and Payment Services should be allowed sufficient time to process the request and finalize the purchase according to appropriate rules and regulations. Purchases that do not follow this process may be rejected.
The College at Brockport advertises bidding requirements that exceed $50,000 within the NYS Contract Reporter.
Doing Business with NYS Agencies
There are numerous ways to take advantage of contracting opportunities within New York State and The College at Brockport. From a broader scope, the following information will assist those who wish to pursue government contracting but are not sure where to start: Guidelines for Understanding the NYS Procurement Practices
- Provides specialized government market information, data and techniques to businesses unfamiliar with government sales, or those who wish to redouble their efforts in this area.
- Advocates on behalf of New York State companies wherever possible.
- Advises on procurement policies.
- Monitors state and federal legislation to help New York State businesses
and can provide:
- Procurement assistance services to help businesses compete for state contracts, provide guidance on how to be placed on bidders' lists, provide lists of New York State subcontractors and suppliers and resolve problems arising within the bid process.
- The New York State Contract Reporter, a publication that:
- keeps small businesses apprised of weekly bid opportunities with individual state agencies, public authorities and public benefit corporations.
- publishes services and technology bid opportunities and notices of upcoming commodity bid openings.
- It is a free online subscription
Assists the state's minority and women's business community with access to all the services offered by ESD as well as the resources needed to get started.
- Access to Capital
- Offers access to ESD and other financial assistance for established businesses, leveraging capital to achieve the best results at a lower cost
- M/WBE Business Certification
- Enables entrance into programs designed to assist Minority - and Women-owned Business Enterprise firms statewide.
- Administers and offers lists of New York State MWBD firms to interested prime contractors to use in realizing subcontracting goals.
- Search the Directory of Certified Minority - and Woman-Owned Business Enterprises
- M/WBE Procurement Assistance
- Offers guidance on specialized selling opportunities to state and federal government agencies.
- Transportation Capital Assistance Program
- Provides government contractor loans to MWBE's and small business enterprises that have transportation-related government contracts under NYS Department of Transportation.
- Makes loans accessible from $20,000 to $500,000.
- Additional Information:*
*These publications are in PDF format and require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click the Certification Application to extract the compressed file and save to your hard drive. Get Acrobat Reader here
The Office of General Services Procurement Services Group (PSG) awards thousands of competitively bid contracts for use by State agencies, political subdivisions and other organizations authorized by law to purchase from State contracts. These contracts offer commodities (materials, equipment, supplies and printing), services and technology, including telecommunications. Although most of these contracts are Statewide, a portion are large volume contracts for single agencies or groups of agencies. Current OGS contracts as well as upcoming opportunities may be viewed online. Interested suppliers may be placed on the OGS mailing list and receive bid notices by completing a Vendor Registration for Bidder Notification.
One of the greatest advantages to State agencies for using OGS contracts is that they meet the competitive bidding requirements of the NYS Finance Other benefits are as follows:
- Save an average of 10 to 40 percent on purchases
- Reduce or eliminate the time required to research specifications
- Enhance and simplify the purchase process
- Minimize the time required to identify responsible vendors
- Ensure product quality and
- Meet recycling/energy efficient objectives
Local agency bidding and purchase opportunities, such as The College at Brockport, are best seen by subscribing to the New York State Contract Reporter, a weekly electronic procurement opportunities newsletter containing notices of State agency, public authority and public benefit corporation bid solicitations. The "Contract Reporter" also publishes centralized services and technology bid opportunities and notices of upcoming commodity bid openings. New York State businesses may subscribe online.
A second centralized contracting program within OGS is known as the Design & Construction Group that establishes construction contracts and selects qualified consultants to provide diversified services such as:
- Architectural and engineering design
- Land surveying
- Construction management
- Hazardous materials sampling and
- Materials testing
To learn about building, construction/rehabilitation or architectural and engineering contracting opportunities at many State agency locations, vendors are encouraged to receive electronic notifications of construction bidding opportunities by completing a Vendor Interest Profile found here and visiting The Empire State Newsletter for contractors and consultants. Address inquiries to the Office of General Services, Design and Construction Group, Contract Administration, Corning Tower-35th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12242. Telephone 518-474-0201 or, go use their website.