Main Page Content

At The Undergraduate Level

Undergraduate students may repeat any course to attempt a higher grade.When a course is repeated, only the grade earned in the latest attempt will count toward the GPA whether the grade is higher, lower or the same.There are several other important considerations that should be understood before actually registering to repeat a course:

  • The credits received in the final repeat of a course are also the only ones used to compute credits toward graduation.This may seem obvious, but it sometimes comes as a surprise to students. Retaking a course at Brockport that was transferred to Brockport will cause the transferred course credits to be removed from the total credit calculation since credit cannot be awarded twice for the same course.

  • If a student wishes to improve a grade,the student can only repeat the same course at The College at Brockport, not an equivalent.In other words, a student cannot transfer a course from another school and use it to count as a repeat of the Brockport course.To repeat a course, it must be the same course repeated at Brockport. This occasionally confuses students and faculty as well. If a department is willing to accept an alternative (transfer) course toward a degree requirement, that’s fine, but it won’t change the existence of the previous course, and it won’t prevent that previous course from being counted in the computing of your overall GPA. Courses taken at other institutions never affect the GPA because only credits transfer, never the grades.

  • Although only the latest grade is used to compute the GPA,all previous attempts remain on the transcript. The transcript is the College’s official record of a student’s academic history at SUNY Brockport and nothing is ever removed from it without a very good justification.

  • If a course changes in number or title before the student has a chance to repeat it, and the department offering the course certifies that it is still the same course, the student may still take it for a change of grade. But the student should get the department’s approval in writing in advance.

  • If a student last took a course on asatisfactory/unsatisfactory basis, the student may repeat the course with thesame optionor may opt for aletter grade. But if the course wastaken the last time for a letter grade,it will have to berepeated for a letter grade.

  • Important to remember : The state of New York will not pay a student to repeat a course unless the student outright fails it (grade of “E” or “U”), or unless the studentdid not attain the grade demandedby a given program. This pertains to all state aid including grants (TAP, APTS) or scholarships (Merit, etc.). That means that repeating a course for which the undergraduate student earned a grade of “D-“ or better or a grade of “C” or better for graduate students won’t be counted as part of the full-time course load (for financial aid purposes) unless the major or certification program requires that particular course and requires a higher grade than the last one. Students may still repeat the course, but must make sure that they areenrolled in 12 other credits in addition to the repeated courseif they receive state aid as a full-time student.

  • The Veteran’s Administration is also stringent and follows the same guidelines as the state of New York. It is imperative to understand which classes are repeatable. If it is still unclear, the people in the Office of Financial Aid, Office of Academic Advisement, the Bursar’s Office or the Office of Veteran’s Affairs can help.

At The Graduate Level

Unless otherwise prohibited by departmental policy,graduate students are permitted to repeat courses in which they have earned a grade below “B”.For financial aid purposes, repeating a course for which a graduate student earned a grade of “C” or better won’t be counted as part of the full-time course load unless the program requires a grade higher than the last one. Graduate students may still repeat the course, but must make sure they areenrolled in 12 other credits in addition to the repeated course if they receive state aid as a full-time student.

Last Updated 3/6/18

Close mobile navigation